Nadal hoping to return from injury at the Brazil Open
Date published :
15 Jan 2013 - 17:17:07
Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal, out of action since the middle of last season because of injury, could return to the court at next month's ATP Brazil Open in Sao Paulo, organisers said Tuesday.
A statement from tournament sponsors DGW Comunicacion, which recently was involved with a Roger Federer exhibition appearance in Brazil, said the event will "mark the return to the circuit of one of world tennis' top stars".
And Luis Felipe Tavares, chairman of sports company Koch Tavares, told Estado de Sao Paulo daily that "a name such as Nadal will definitely whip up a lot of interest".
Contacted by AFP, the company had not made any further comment by Tuesday afternoon.
Nadal, currently ranked four in the world, has won 11 Grand Slams but injuries have dogged him and the 26-year-old Spaniard hasn't played since June.
He had to miss the Australian Open because of a stomach virus while a succession of knee injuries have plagued his career.
Nadal, who had been widely expected to return to action in Acapulco, Mexico, at the end of February, two weeks after Sao Paulo, won the Brazil Open in 2005.