Azarenka tops year-end WTA ranking
Date published :
29 Oct 2012 - 16:17:40
Victoria Azarenka of Belarus on Monday secured the end of year WTA top ranking, finishing the season 550 points ahead of Russian Maria Sharapova.
US star Serena Williams, who beat Sharapova in Sunday's Masters final, eneded the season in third spot, capping a remarkable come-back year after a lengthy time on the sidelines due to a potentially life-threatening blood clot on the lungs.
The only movement of note in the top 20 was a fall from sixth to eighth spot for Czech Petra Kvitova, who saw her Masters challenge wrecked owing to bronchitis.
Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki, though, could still edge into the top 10 from her current 11th spot as she is competing in Sofia from Tuesday, meaning she could move above Marion Bartoli of France, who is not competing in the event.
Top 20 WTA rankings
1. Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 10595 pts
2. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 10045
3. Serena Williams (USA) 9400
4. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 7425
5. Angelique Kerber (GER) 5550
6. Sara Errani (ITA) 5100 (+1)
7. Na Li (CHN) 5095 (+1)
8. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 5085 (-2)
9. Samantha Stosur (AUS) 4135
10. Marion Bartoli (FRA) 3740
11. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 3685
12. Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 2900
13. Nadia Petrova (RUS) 2725
14. Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 2495
15. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 2463
16. Roberta Vinci (ITA) 2400
17. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 2125
18. Julia Goerges (GER) 1965
19. Kaia Kanepi (EST) 1929
20. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 1841